patsy n : a person who is gullible and easy to take advantage of [syn: chump, fool, gull, mark, fall guy, sucker, soft touch, mug]
Patsy is a given name often used as a diminutive of the feminine name Patricia or sometimes the masculine name Patrick, or occasionally other names containing the syllable "Pat" or "Pet" (such as Cleopatra, Patience, or Patrice).
Historical usageIn older usage Patsy was also a nickname for Martha or Matilda, following a common nicknaming pattern of changing an M to a P (such as in Margaret → Meg/Meggy → Peg/Peggy; and Molly → Polly) and adding a feminine suffix.
While usually a feminine diminutive name, from the 18th Century Patsy also came to be used as a nickname for men and boys called Patrick.
It is thought that the popularity of the name may have waned due to the dictionary meanings of the word "patsy" being "dupe" or "scapegoat".
Notable people with the given name
- Elias Henry "Patsy" Hendren (1889-1962), British cricketer
- Patsy Cline (1932-1963), American country & pop music singer
- Patsy Kensit (born 1968), British actress and singer
- Patsy Mink (1927-2002), American politician, appointed an Assistant Secretary of State by President Jimmy Carter
- Patsy Montana (1908-1996), American country & western music singer.
- Patsy O’Connell Sherman (born 1930), American chemist, co-inventor of Scotchgard in 1952
- Patsy (Monty Python), a character in the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and also the 2005 Monty Python inspired musical Spamalot.
- Patsy Smiles, an upbeat and chipper mongoose who has a crush on Lazlo in the 2005-- American animated television series Camp Lazlo.
- Patsy Stone, one of the main characters in the 1992–-2005 British television series Absolutely Fabulous, played by Joanna Lumley.
- Patsy Walker, also known as "Hellcat", a superhero character published by Marvel Comics.
- Patsy Sewer, a singer of the Canadian television program Instant Star.
babe, boob, chump, cinch, credulous person, cull, dupe, easy mark, easy pickings, fall guy, fish, fool, goat, gobe-mouches, greener, greenhorn, greeny, gudgeon, gull, innocent, leadpipe cinch, mark, monkey, pigeon, plaything, prize sap, pushover, sap, saphead, scapegoat, schlemiel, sitting duck, stooge, sucker, toy, trusting soul, victim, whipping boy